2163
578
338

Rathod delivers knowledge of dermatology to peers through skincare club

Coppell+High+School+sophomore+Aditi+Rathod+explores+her+passion+for+dermatology+through+founding+the+CHS+Dermatology+%26+Cosmetics+Club.++Rathod+discussed+the+benefits+of+various+skincare+products+during+her+club+meeting+on+Jan.+24+in+D211.+
Katie Park
Coppell High School sophomore Aditi Rathod explores her passion for dermatology through founding the CHS Dermatology & Cosmetics Club. Rathod discussed the benefits of various skincare products during her club meeting on Jan. 24 in D211.

Various skincare products line the surface of the countertop, some serums spilling over the top, creating a sticky but fragrant mess.

Coppell High School sophomore Aditi Rathod flickers on the lights in her bathroom and picks up a hydrating moisturizer. She squeezes a dollop onto her hand and massages it into her skin while listening to “Brooklyn Baby” by Lana Del Rey.

Next, she picks up the hyaluronic acid serum, using the dropper with perfect precision. Rathod takes a step back, glowing with satisfaction.

For the past three years, Rathod has been diligent in performing her daily skin routine. It is this passion towards dermatology that drew Rathod into founding her own skincare club. She is the president of the CHS Dermatology & Cosmetics Club and hosts monthly meetings in room D211.

“I hope to have a safe space where people can learn and talk about their skin issues without feeling embarrassed or shy,” Rathod said.

Through researching products such as sunscreen and lotion, Rathod shares her findings with the club members and brings the various products to meetings for discussion.

“She has demonstrated a passion for researching product benefits and the impacts it has on our body’s largest organ, our skin,” CHS Dermatology & Cosmetics Club sponsor Laura Jordan-Davis said.

The aspiring student began her interest in dermatology three years ago, when she herself started noticing a difference in her skin.

“I had really bad acne for two years,” Rathod said. “At first I thought I could take care of it but my skin started becoming puffy and red, so I resorted to asking my parents to take me to a dermatologist. After I went to a dermatologist, I fell in love with learning about skincare and that experience has led me to want to pursue dermatology further.”

Some of Rathod’s favorite products are the Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion and the Neutrogena Daily Facial Moisturizer for a hydrating and bright complexion.

Rathod’s inherent passion in dermatology drove her determination in the club, making it what it is.

“When she makes a goal, she pursues it relentlessly,” Aditi’s father Akash Rathod said. “The biggest quality she has is caring for others, being compassionate and having a knack for medical solutions. I remember many times I have taken her advice on some skin problems, and she is spot on with her recommendations.”

In addition to her skincare club, Aditi has also created a blog, which she co-founded with CHS senior Mariam Bawa. In their blog Skincare Serenity Secrets, they posted about inequalities and disparities in the realm of skincare.

“With our blog, we hope to address issues in dermatology that are not talked about enough,” Bawa said. “Since dermatology is all about skin treatment, it is important that all skin types and colors are treated individually with care. We want to educate people on the effects of common ingredients found in skincare products, animal cruelty in skincare, and many other issues.”

Aditi and Bawa have been dealing with a prevalent issue that they recently discussed in depth on the blog. In their post,The Disparities in the Treatment of Melanoma in People of Color, the lack of awareness of how darker skin should be treated is highlighted as a worldwide concern.

Their blog states that it is imperative for the field of dermatology to become more inclusive to provide education and healthcare for all skin types.

“Specifically in melanoma, there is a huge disparity between the treatment of melanated and non-melanated skin and it is causing so many people to lose their lives, so we hope to improve that and help spread awareness about the issue,” Bawa said.

Aditi exemplifies her passion for dermatology through various platforms, aiming to direct her knowledge to many audiences.

“I fell in love with learning about skincare and the different aspects of it,” Aditi said. “I hope to pursue it further to change the world of medicine and target the audiences of teenagers, adults and others to help solve disparities such as melanoma that affects many people of different color.”

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter

This story was originally published on Coppell Student Media on February 2, 2024.